why is my avatar so big?

A place to address technical issues or ask questions about navigating the board
HOPE

why is my avatar so big?

Post by HOPE »

Ok, stupid question. Why is my avatar so big and everyone else's so small? Do I have to use a different image so it will be small? I do like my puppy the best, but if it is going to be the pic that is the odd man out then I better change it. hahaha

Thanks,
Hope
bjcollin
Site Owner

Post by bjcollin »

You can use your own pictures as avatars, just as long as you resize them first. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to resize which is a program burried somewhere in Microsoft Office. You can use any program you are comfortable to resize with.

The next question seems to be what is a good size for an avatar? According to some documentation I read somewhere, I think 64x64 would be small, 80x80 seems to be a medium, and 100x100 would be a large.

For example:
Your pomeranian dog pic currently is 462x303.
My computer hacker guy pic is 48x48.

I will post more on this when I find more on it. Just the start.

In Christ,
HOPE

Post by HOPE »

Ok, so I went and changed the size of the pixel and it still won't upload it says the file size is too big. The firs one I put on was from the old web site I just copied the url, but since I changed the size I can't do that now. What else can I do if anything?

Thanks,
Hope
bjcollin
Site Owner

Post by bjcollin »

ok,

The board by default limits UPLOADED avatar sizes to 80x80 or 6144 bytes (6k). There are not any limits that I could find on URL linked avatars other than what sizes I found that looked nice that I already posted.

Another alternative is that if you resize your image, then store it somewhere like on photobucket or some other website, then you can link to it. Keep trying, this is a learning experience for all of us.

in Christ,
HOPE

Post by HOPE »

Thanks, I appreciate all your help. I'll keep on trying. :)
HOPE

Post by HOPE »

LOOK.....I did it. yay for me! :D
eagle
Platinum Member

Post by eagle »

Ok

I'ved tried everything I am aware of and no luck, not sure what to do now. I went to a image hosting website, actually tried a few to see which best would work and I have the same problem with all of them. The problem I get on the site reads that the avatar has to be a jpg or gif file. The pic I have was in jpg or gif and still no show. I've tried with a resize on the image as well and still no show. So I'm stumped :| I ran out of ideas. The Photobucket website was not working so I couldn't try them. Anywayz if anyone as any suggestions let me know, or if it is something that I just need to wait on until the kinks are settled. Thanks.
Many nations will come and say, "Come and let us go up
to the mountain of the LORD And to the house of the God of Jacob, That He may teach us about His ways And that we
may walk in His paths." Mic 4:2
ArisenShine
Diamond Member

Post by ArisenShine »

hurray for Hope...cute!

eagle,
I had quite alot of trouble too, but just keep trying.
Photobucket wouldn't upload my image for 3 tries. It said it was 'corrupt'...ha...go figure.
Then I restarted my computer, logged back in, and tried again and it worked.

I tried pasting the URL in my profile a couple times before I got the right URL and pasted in the right slot. I believe what worked was to 'copy' the 'direct link' line under your photo in P.B. (2nd line down), and 'paste' into the 'Link to off-site avatar' in your profile, the last/bottom choice.

Photobucket has some glitches now and then, but usually are short lived, but you may need to restart.

Lee
Lee/ArisenShine
Consider the lilies....
HOPE

Post by HOPE »

eagle, I agree with Arisen shine. Take the steps she showed you. I was trying all day yesterday with photobucket and today I finally got it. Sometimes the best thing to do is walk away and try tomorrow. :lol: Keep trying it will work. I went to photobucket and at then posted it to the second line exactly as was copied from their web page. Hope this helps a little.

HOPE :D
eagle
Platinum Member

Post by eagle »

Thanks I will have to retry probably later but most likely tomorrow. I've tried getting on photobucket several times and I keep getting an error page, but definitely will follow your instructions. Thanks again.
to the mountain of the LORD And to the house of the God of Jacob, That He may teach us about His ways And that we
bjcollin
Site Owner

Post by bjcollin »

HOPE wrote:LOOK.....I did it. yay for me! :D
Awesome, cool pomeranian. Glad you figured it out.

in Christ,
HOPE

Post by HOPE »

Thanks that is my dog. I call this picture the wizard of Oddy. He's my very special friend!!! :D
bjcollin
Site Owner

Re: Avatars

Post by bjcollin »

eagle wrote:Ok

I'ved tried everything I am aware of and no luck, not sure what to do now. I went to a image hosting website, actually tried a few to see which best would work and I have the same problem with all of them. The problem I get on the site reads that the avatar has to be a jpg or gif file. The pic I have was in jpg or gif and still no show. I've tried with a resize on the image as well and still no show. So I'm stumped :| I ran out of ideas. The Photobucket website was not working so I couldn't try them. Anywayz if anyone as any suggestions let me know, or if it is something that I just need to wait on until the kinks are settled. Thanks.
lets start at square 1, give us a link to the image you are interested in first

in Christ,
eagle
Platinum Member

Post by eagle »

What worked for me. Ok still couldn't get through to photobucket. I just searched for avatar images and then resized and it took. Not sure why but that's how it worked for me. Thanks bunches. I may try something else another day or later on to see if I can get the pic I really want on. Again Thanks. :D
eagle
Platinum Member

Post by eagle »

Ok got the pic I wanted :D . The Microsoft Picture Manager helped to adjust to the size and seem to go through fine. I think I remembered Tal mentioning something like that, it just dawned on me like ummm recently :wink: ok a little slow lol.