A place to address technical issues or ask questions about navigating the board
discerning
Site Admin

Post by discerning »

Suddenly (as of yesterday) the new posts indicator/icon (whatever the proper term is) is not working. Needless to say, this is very irritating. :roll:

What's strange is that it works on some threads but not others and sometimes I log on to see NO new posts, yet when I check the date & time of the last post there are several...

Help please!

blessings,
discerning

I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning...
Ezekiel 3:17
talitha

Post by talitha »

I've noticed the same thing, and I think it's because phpBB works differently than xsorbit's program. I think "new posts" means posts that have appeared since you logged on the board this time and does not include ones that you didn't click on when you were there before.

I don't like that either, but I suppose we'll get used to it eventually.

blessings
tal
bjcollin
Site Owner

Post by bjcollin »

Interesting,

I saw this once last week, but now it seems to be working fine for me. I think it looses it brain everynow and then on what I have read and what I haven't read. I will keep an eye on it.

In Christ,
talitha

Post by talitha »

something else that is related, I think?

I keep trying to tell the program to log me on automatically each visit, but it's NOT doing it! And then when I log in, all the "new post" indicators vanish, so I'm not getting to use them. It's frustrating to have to look at the date and time instead of just looking for an orange folder. I wonder if there is something that can be done about this, or if it's just a drawback of the program we're using......

blessings
tal
Pearls of Wisdom
Site Moderator

Post by Pearls of Wisdom »

What is the orange folder?
Pearls

Happy is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gains understanding.
talitha

Post by talitha »

oh, lol, when I look at the index of threads in each forum, I think of the little icons on the left as folders. White is supposed to mean 'read' and orange is supposed to mean 'new' - much like the orange dots at xsorbit.

blessings
tal
Pearls of Wisdom
Site Moderator

Post by Pearls of Wisdom »

Thank you for clarifying that to me... :D
Pearls

Happy is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gains understanding.
warriorofgrace

Post by warriorofgrace »

I'm so untechnical I even frighten myself but I think my query that I was about to post this am is related :roll:

1. When you post a thread you should receive an alert message on your computer that a post has been added to the thread you started Right? Cos...it seems that sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

2. When you post a comment on someones elses thread should you automatically get an email alert on comp. to say a comment has been added to that thread (as the xsorbit used to?)...I always leave ticked the notify me when a reply is posted box.

I find that I am losing track of threads as i don't know if additional comments have been added half the time...I may be missing something obvious?

Thanks
Warrior
bjcollin
Site Owner

Post by bjcollin »

I have only used the notify me when a reply is posted feature once so far when I was testing the board and I think I remember that it worked but it was flakey. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not work and I could not figure out why it was spotty like that. Bottom line is... I would not rely solely on that as a means of finding replies, but I would be proactive in re-visiting your dreams and looking for replies.

in Christ,