on the bus...

Archives for 2007
anyamanee

Post by anyamanee »

WaitingforHim wrote:
it is possible to remain a Buddhist (but not an animist, which is the mix that typically exits here) and follow Jesus.
Could you explain what you mean a little clearer here? If isn't possible or biblical to serve any "two" Gods. Any if you are a buddhist aren't you serving another God? Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?
------------------------
No; I think you may understand but don't understand Buddhism.

In Buddhism you don't serve a god; it is not that type of religion. It is actually atheistic at the core; I'm not sure Buddha said, "there is NO God but rather it is certain he said, "I am not God; do not worship me" yet they do worship him as a god of sorts. Pure buddhist teaching is similar to logic and common sense of the west.
"do good and recieve good; do evil and recieve evil" "walk the middle road; don't be too extreme" and "think of others needs before your own"

some almost almost biblical. I have often said that the wisdom of the buddha shows that IF he had known about Jesus (he lived and came during the yrs before Christ birth of darkness) he would have told his disciples to follow Jesus. Actually there IS buddhist prophecy of the messiah which is clearly pointing to Jesus.
AND true Buddhism abhors spiritism as an abomination that causes fear.

The main shortcoming and where the enemy has lied the most is in the statement "you can only save yourself" which is only partially true and fundamentally a lie. Only you can have a saving relationship with Jesus; yes! But you cannot do it; it is by grace we are saved.

OKAY enough buddhism talk...this is from "insider" type of missiology.
===========================

Also, yes, I agree that it is up to the Lord whether or not the relationship continue...I stated that earlier..And it is also possible to love one another even if we do have other religions...but I also know the word does say to seperate yourself from them in the sense that if you have given the truth and they continue to walk in sin or worship idols then all that is left for you to do is pray for them and if the Lord speaks to you then obey...but to remain in relationship with them ...well, I just don't think that is biblical. If I am misunderstanding here as well please explain...
=========================

depends on what you mean by "relationship"

mostly this is a teacher (he is my teacher/culture informant) student relationship and transportation service provider. However, I believe the Lord has revealed to both myself and my husband that this man is indeed a man of peace. We are in a waiting stage; will he respond? Cross culturally it is difficult to detremine how much that is happening; and transformation is slow in Thailand. As a missionary I need to not burn bridges with those whom God has given us who may, through our witness, become worshippers of the Living God...for our joy and for His glory. Does this make sense?
To cut ourselves off NOW when he's not rejected Christ but rather seems to be moving towards Him; inspite of wearing an amulet and still being a horrid sinner (ahem, can I get a mirror?) would be cruel in my mind. Also my heart won't let me do it; and I offer this all up to God daily. If he wants to cut it, not my will but His be done!

Love to you...

thanks....
WFH
talitha

Post by talitha »

anyamanee wrote: one thing that is a bit different here: we have clearly communicated that you don't have to change religions to follow Jesus.
Sis, this is very uncomfortable for me to see - As I read the Bible I see that the Lord frowns (to put it quite mildly) upon any kind of syncretism. When I was a missionary in an Asian city not far from a Buddhist monastery, I and the others I worked alongside took great pains to make sure people knew they could not mix religions. It's a very serious issue, IMHO. I am hoping I'm misunderstanding you. :cry:
anyamanee

Post by anyamanee »

talitha wrote:
anyamanee wrote: one thing that is a bit different here: we have clearly communicated that you don't have to change religions to follow Jesus.
Sis, this is very uncomfortable for me to see - As I read the Bible I see that the Lord frowns (to put it quite mildly) upon any kind of syncretism. When I was a missionary in an Asian city not far from a Buddhist monastery, I and the others I worked alongside took great pains to make sure people knew they could not mix religions. It's a very serious issue, IMHO. I am hoping I'm misunderstanding you. :cry:
You are, be assured. First, following Jesus is NOT a religion! Religion is, at least in Thai understanding a systems of rules to help you do good and avoid evil. You do enough good and you have a chance to go to heaven. Too much evil and you go to hell. To switch religions means to trade one religion for another.
There are many Muslim followers of Jesus Christ all over the world; and now in Thailand there are Buddhist followers of Jesus Christ. They do NOT worship two Gods.

We are NOT talking about syncretism! Putting a "jesus statue" up on the alter with the other gods is not what we teach. You have to renounce all other gods and ask forgiveness from God Most High the one who created the heavens and the earth. You must turn from depending on all types of idols and methods depended on for power and protection, and rely fully and delight fully in the Lord Jesus.

I am a bible believing reformed Christian and also realize that insider missiology is easily misunderstood and often condemned.

But why are people so focused on religion still? Religion never saved anyone, not even Christianity....only a relationship with the Living God in Christ saves. Following religions rules is deadly also.
talitha

Post by talitha »

I understand what you are saying about religion, and I agree with you. Many people use the word religion in a broader sense to encompass any spiritual path, including atheism and Christianity, and that was the sense in which I meant it when I said "I... took great pains to make sure people knew they could not mix religions." So you are saying that for a Buddhist to become a Christian doesn't mean to swap one religion for another - rather, to lay down religion altogether and take up with Jesus. Right? Beyond that, I suppose I need to read up on "insider missiology" - I don't remember reading that. Is it the concept that there is a seed of truth in every true religion, like in Peace Child? If so, I think I agree with that.

blessings
tal
anyamanee

Post by anyamanee »

talitha wrote:I understand what you are saying about religion, and I agree with you. Many people use the word religion in a broader sense to encompass any spiritual path, including atheism and Christianity, and that was the sense in which I meant it when I said "I... took great pains to make sure people knew they could not mix religions." So you are saying that for a Buddhist to become a Christian doesn't mean to swap one religion for another - rather, to lay down religion altogether and take up with Jesus. Right? Beyond that, I suppose I need to read up on "insider missiology" - I don't remember reading that. Is it the concept that there is a seed of truth in every true religion, like in Peace Child? If so, I think I agree with that.

blessings
tal
YES; it (insider movement) is esp among Muslims. The Word, "Islam" means "submitted to
God"
You need to sift through the lies; focus on the truth and find the pointers to Christ; ie the messianic buddhist prophecy.

However, Insider is controversial. There is a whole scale out there c-1 being 'church' as we fully know it in the west to c-5 which still uses fully all the rituals of the cultural religion. Personally we fit on the scale in the mid range; how buddhist of us! (walk the middle road) (btw i don't always walk the middle road, ie the abortion issue; also the Jesus is God issue; the One God issue; Holy Spirit issue, and so on)

So yes, when you think "peace child" you are on the right tract. Frontiers is heavily involved in Insider missions, as are others.
you may find it hard to find info on the net, however as it is a dangerous practice in islam. Blessings to you! Where in Asia were you?

Karen
PS yes, lay down "religion" and follow Christ alone and trust him alone for all you need even eternal life!
talitha

Post by talitha »

Actually I don't believe Islam is a "true religion" like Buddhism is. I think it's false from its inception - actually the same guy who wrote Peace Child wrote a book about that very subject called Secrets of the Koran - I know him slightly, Don Basham. Good books, both of them, but I digress.

I was in Siberia, in the region just north of central Mongolia - the region is called Buryatya. (bad English spelling probably, LOL - looks much better in Cyrillic) I loved it there - cried when I had to leave.

blessings
tal
anyamanee

Post by anyamanee »

talitha wrote:Actually I don't believe Islam is a "true religion" like Buddhism is. I think it's false from its inception - actually the same guy who wrote Peace Child wrote a book about that very subject called Secrets of the Koran - I know him slightly, Don Basham. Good books, both of them, but I digress.

================
isn't that book by Don Richardson? He spoke at our Perspectives Class -- or am I thinking of someone else?.
=======================

I was in Siberia, in the region just north of central Mongolia - the region is called Buryatya. (bad English spelling probably, LOL - looks much better in Cyrillic) I loved it there - cried when I had to leave.

---------------
That form of Buddhism is quite different from Thai Buddhism.
What we have here is very animistic in practice

Why did you have to leave? Sounds soo ccccold!
Karen
90s again in Bangkok

blessings
tal
anyamanee

Post by anyamanee »

repost; esp about the detail of the heart pendant shining in the dream and then noticing it was filled with a buddha; how he gave the pendant now (in reality) to his daughter and has attached something else; I am not 100% sure but believe it is some type of buddhism pendant...not brave enough to ask just yet.

So is it possible that the other parts of the dream will also be reality in the future?
anyamanee

Post by anyamanee »

walking down the street today i see a woman wearing the pendant in my dream...it was in our neighborhood....oh what does it mean?
anyamanee

Post by anyamanee »

the amulet and chain are gone; and after seeing the Jesus film he and his girlfriend have agreed to study the miracles of Jesus with us for four weeks in Feb...pray for us...
talitha

Post by talitha »

oh this is good~!
praying
tal
anyamanee

Post by anyamanee »

WaitingforHim wrote:
I am wondering if this is a dream for you to consider whether or not the Lord wants you to continue your journey with this friend..??? I am not saying that the Lord would want you to just forget about this person...just maybe rethink how much of your journey you spend with him on his journey...You can still witness...

WFH
Looking back on old posts and dreams and responses. Just this week the Lord was speaking to me, again about this person.
Or at least how I think/relate to him.
I repented, turned and fruit has been born; he tells me stories to show how much he is thinking about his life...and as said before I do believe God has great plans for him and for my husband and maybe together....my husband's love has grown for him lately; also he was one of four recent guests at a showing of the Jesus Film in our home.
So yes the witness continues. But i must guard my heart; in our journey I mention the atmosphere as being "fun peaceful and full of love" which is how our friendship has been....

And one more update; the buddha amulet is not being worn; neither is the gold chain....for two weeks now.
anyamanee

Post by anyamanee »

anyamanee wrote:
WaitingforHim wrote:

And one more update; the buddha amulet is not being worn; neither is the gold chain....for two weeks now.
still no amulet nor chain. May have been used as collateral for a home impovement loan
anyamanee

Post by anyamanee »

bump looking for fresh insight
anyamanee

Post by anyamanee »

we are still on the bus