The number 13

Archives for 2010
jeff
Site Moderator

The number 13

Post by jeff »

Hello,

Is there a spiritual significance to the number 13?

jeff
Charys
Diamond Member

Post by Charys »

According to "God's Arithmetic" it's sin, rebellion, depravity."

http://www.asis.com/users/stag/arithme.html

James Goll suggests rebellion, backsliding, apostasy
Ira Milligan says rebellion, revolution, rejection
Susan Riddle lists rebellion, rejection, backsliding

Are we seeing a theme here?

Still it all comes down to what it symbolizes to you.

-for your discernment
Last edited by Charys on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...that I might know Him...
jeff
Site Moderator

Post by jeff »

Thank you
Manassehs_Warrior
Diamond Member

Post by Manassehs_Warrior »

Aint a good number, no.

Associated with evil... just like its superstitious connotation.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean NOT unto your own understanding -- Proverbs 3:5
Poetic Seer
Gold Member

Number 13

Post by Poetic Seer »

It is usually synomous with rebellion; however, another spiritual meaning to the number 13 is double portion. It is a number that places a person at a fork in the road to make a decision & according to that decision, it will either place him/her in a state of rebellion or a state of double portion.

Israel had twelve sons; in lieu of Joseph, two portions were given to him for his sons: Manasseh & Ephraim--a double portion bringing the total to 13.

Even before then, the total number of children Israel had was 12 sons & his daughter Dinah totaling to 13.

Jesus had twelve disciples with Him being in the midst of them totaling to 13.

I believe the true significance of this number has been marred with superstition. Please read Genesis chapter 13--It is a book of beginnings. Chapter 13 should give you a clear understanding of what the number 13 is all about.

I pray this helps.

God Bless
Poetic Seer
charlie
Diamond Member

Re: Number 13

Post by charlie »

Poetic Seer wrote: It is a number that places a person at a fork in the road to make a decision & according to that decision, it will either place him/her in a state of rebellion or a state of double portion.
...interesting...

...also 1+3=4

...depends on context jeff...

grace
charlie
Charlie
Jesus said: I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:3
jeff
Site Moderator

Post by jeff »

Thanks to all who posted, I've relayed the information to the person who asked me.

jeff
wholeheart
Gold Member

Post by wholeheart »

Here are my two cents on the subject of thirteen (well, what I have researched and read):

Every number has a positive and a negative meaning. It really has everything to do with the context of the dream. Also, a number may have a personal significance to the dreamer that has little to do with what the "experts" say.

It always annoyed me that the #13 is always associated with negativity and that I could never find a positive meaning for the number. When my 13th wedding anniversary rolled around I decided to do a more thorough search. I have been redeemed!

I found a website that says the #13 is the number of LOVE in the Jewish culture. Of course, there is I corinthians 13 as my NT back-up! I can't verify that this interpretation is accurate, but the other numbers on this site seem to line up with what I had learned from Vallowe, JPJ and the like.

By the way, #14 is the number for the double portion (2 x 7).

Anyway, hope this is helpful!

Wholeheart