Archives for 2011
piano
Diamond Member

Post by piano »

I was wondering about the number 16 and the reference in Susan's book.

I am starting to wonder about numbers, what significance if any they should hold for me.
I am praying about this.

I know I have gone to certain sources concerning numbers over time, and can see some of the reasons they might mean this or that, according to scripture, and wondering how the meaning of the number 16 was identified?
From Susans Book:
Not under the law because of love; free; salvation. (Acts 27: 34; 37-38 )
Therefore I urge you to take some food. For it will give you strength, for not a hair is to perish from the head of any of you.”

(Acts 27:34 ESV)

(We were in all 276 persons in the ship.) And when they had eaten enough, they lightened the ship, throwing out the wheat into the sea.

(Acts 27:37-38 ESV)
Thanks,

Piano
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is long-suffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
discerning
Site Admin

Post by discerning »

Hey, Piano. When I saw the title of your post, I heard *Sweet Sixteen*

It represents to me faith in Christ's work of salvation...how sweet it is!

Re the scripture reference...consider, the crew was coming off a 14 day fast - and not by choice - they had had no stomach for food in the turmoil. AND THIS because they failed the heed the warning of the Lord!

Paul encourages them to eat, take sustenance, to build up their strength for what lies ahead so that all might be saved. In other words, partake of the Bread of Life...HAVE FAITH...and not a hair on your heads will be harmed. Yet, they were weighed down by unnecessary cargo which would ultimately prevent them from a safe landing. So they tossed it overboard. Ha. All reached land safely...even the prisoners (think about that).

Paul was salt and light...a living, breathing, walking example of what it means to walk by faith...his very life was a parable of spiritual salvation and there was no turmoil great enough to thwart Papa's divine plan for him.

And if Papa did it for him...He will do it for us!

Sweet indeed.
discerning

I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning...
Ezekiel 3:17
piano
Diamond Member

Post by piano »

Thanks Discerning for explaining the scripture in reference to

Not under the law because of love, free; salvation.

It makes sense, and I really do need to read the whole chapter again..maybe preceeding chapters too...but I am still questioning why the number 16 in particular would mean this?

I walk about daily knowing what He did for me, that I am no longer under the law, but why should I feel significance from a number?

I believe all of the hairs on my head are numbered: IE: God knows everything about me..everything.
But I do not believe He sees me AS a number.
He knows why I have questions about this now, too.

Peace,

Piano
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is long-suffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
piano
Diamond Member

Post by piano »

I have read this chapter a few times now.

Discerning,

Getting what I need, and forgetting about the number itself so far.

Adding* For Paul, the cheif of all sinners was meant to be saved, and bring the gospel to many prisoners in chains, that they might also be saved.. What an awesome God.

God uses the witness/testimony of those who were once on the wrong side, to guide those without belief into the True Light of Christ and onto the side of eternal life.

Peace and Merry Christmas,

Piano