TEACHING: Dreamers, please read...

Questions about dreams and symbols
discerning
Site Admin

TEACHING: Dreamers, please read...

Post by discerning »

If you're serious about learning to hear and recognize HIS voice, you won't want to miss this bit of wisdom.

Thank you, charlie.

blessings in abundance on you all,
discerning

I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning...
Ezekiel 3:17
imavessel
Diamond Member

Post by imavessel »

Um, where is it? Is there a link of or something?
God isn't looking for perfect vessels, simply willing ones . . . :)
shine
Diamond Member

Post by shine »

click on the word "wisdom"
Jesus is the Saviour
dborah777
Diamond Member

Post by dborah777 »

I read the info in "wisdom!" It is WONDERFUL! Thank you. I agree with it wholeheartedly. I do have a question though, and I hope this is the right place to ask it... I recently asked someone to help me with a dream intrepretation whose value and bilblical knowledge I respect. He responded to me that in the N.T. that dream interpretation is "unscriptural!" He stated that no one had need of an interpretation, and even in the O.T. that it was the believer interpreting dreams to the unbeliever. I dont agree with this...but truth is, I couldn't find an example in the N.T. He was very kind and respectful in his response, so this is not a debate or argument... it's really food for thought for me.

I'm GLAD you all are here. Your interpretations have helped me greatly down throughout the years, not to mention, when I had a horrible accident, this board supported and reached out to me, my family, and friends, with incredible support in so many ways.

Thank you.
caahbHg,
deBorah
Elle

Post by Elle »

Hi Deborah,

Your friend is mistaken.

Your friend's response is a non sequitur (it does not follow). It sounds like he's taken a few elements out of the bible and come to a conclusion ... however his conclusion does not follow.

Why would God speak to us in dreams if He doesn't expect us to take notice of what He's saying? When God speaks to us in symbols we need to interpret those symbols. God is creative and poetic and speaks to us that way, quite often.

And when something is really important, we take more notice when a message is given to us in a 'odd' way. It sticks with us and we make the effort to try to work it out.

Another example is when God speaks to me in different languages that I don't know. It arouses my interest - and I have to go and look it up. I can tell you nearly every time He's spoken to me in another language, yet have forgotten most of the Words He's given me in English. Make sense?
Last edited by Elle on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dborah777
Diamond Member

Post by dborah777 »

Elle, Thank you soooo much... Makes ALL the sense in the world to me, and I shared something similar with him. Couldn't break through to him, but that's okay too... maybe one day. I appreciate your time and help. Merry CHRISTmas
caahbHg,
deBorah
Counted4Him
Diamond Member

Post by Counted4Him »

dborah777:

Gods best to you! I happen to see this post and wanted to share this.

"While Pilate was sitting on the Judges seat - his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man - for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of Him"

Your friend States its not scriptural however in Matthew 27:19 (NIV) it is scriptually in the N.T. Looking at the whole context of this chapter we see that Piolet clearly needed to receive this revelation and the interpretation that clearly came to his wife in a dream & whatever that dream entailed " she received and understood the meaning while dreaming and it moved deeply her spirit enough (or shook her/stirred her) to promptly get that needed interpretation to piolet. Maybe you can share this. As for the O.T Joseph was an example of many.

Hope this will serve as a scriptural reference eventhough time has pass some.
God bless
Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit * 1 Corinthians 12:4
dborah777
Diamond Member

Post by dborah777 »

Thank you soooooo much Counted4Him... I TOTALLY forgot about this reference to dreaming in the New Testament. Alas, my colleagues point was not that "dreams" are not scriptural, his point was that we, as Christians, do not need interpreters! Actually, this adds more fuel to his argument (lol)! I cannot think of one example in the N.T. where someone had to ask another to interpret their dreams... but, I still do not agree with his conclusion -- like you, I think it is an "over literal" translation!

Again... it doesn't matter how long it took you to respond -- I appreciate the fact that you did... and I am looking forward to hearing MORE from you!
caahbHg,
deBorah
eyes.enlightened
Platinum Member

Post by eyes.enlightened »

Genesis 40:8
And they said unto him, We have dreamed a dream, and there is no interpreter of it. And Joseph said unto them, Do not interpretations belong to God? tell me them, I pray you.
How do we forget that we are vessels? God is the interpreter...yes God still use people today.
Daniel 5:12
12Forasmuch as an excellent spirit, and knowledge, and understanding, interpreting of dreams, and shewing of hard sentences, and dissolving of doubts, were found in the same Daniel,
PEACE AND LOVE +
Counted4Him
Diamond Member

Post by Counted4Him »

deborah777

Blessings. I did do some research concerning the New Testament and if anyone asked for a dream interpretation. The only thing I learned so far is that Joseph (of the young Mary) received several dreams as the wise men but no interpretations were requested but given. Directional and warning which suggests that because of the urgency in circumstances a straight explanation was provided to impress the individuals immediate response. I continue to research more into this because I found this very interesting and to see if there is such a scripture. If I learn anything I will definately share. Be bless.

Shalom!
Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit * 1 Corinthians 12:4
firewater
Silver Member

Re: TEACHING: Dreamers, please read...

Post by firewater »

Hi Deborah,

Does your freind believe the gifts of the spirit such as prophesy, tongues, healing, miracles are for today? If not, then I don't think any amount of scriptures would convince him. If he does believe these things are for today, perhaps he misunderstands what we mean by "interpretation of dreams" & how a believer should receive an interpretation.

In the OT if a known prophet of God was walking in obedience to God, he/she said "This is what the Lord says", & that was it. That was God's message word for word to the recipients, no testing (apart from the fulfilment test Deut 18:20-22, & the worrship other God's test Deut 13:1-3) discussion or debate. The nature of prophesy has changed in the NT. In the NT, in relation to prophesy we are told to "Test everything. Hold onto the good". We are also told "We know in part & we prophesy in part". I believe this applies to interpretations also. It is up to the recipients to test the interpretation & hold onto the good. It is still up to the recipient to discern what God is saying to them. Because we are all learning & growing & only have part of the picture, mistakes will be made as we learn & grow.

If he thinks believers should be able to discern dreams without any input from others, then this should also apply to other areas such as tongues & interpretation. But is is clear from these verses that there can be cases where a believer can give a message to a group in a tongue but have no interpretation himself:
1 Cor 14:27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

As a general principle, there is an inter-dependence in the body of Christ- 1 Cor 12:21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!”. What one person lacks is made up for in another.

There is also the apostle Paul's vision in Acts-
Acts 16:9 During the night Paul had a vision of a man from Macedonia. The man urged Paul, "Come to Macedonia to help us." 10 As soon as Paul had seen the vision, we immediately looked for a way to go to Macedonia. We concluded that God had called us to tell the people of Macedonia about the Good News.

The word "concluded" above is the greek word http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons ... ibazo.html
sumbibavzw from (4862) and bibazo (to force, causative [by reduplication] of the base of (939))
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Sumbibazo 7:763,1101
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
soom-bib-ad'-zo Verb

Definition
to cause to coalesce, to join together, put together
to unite or knit together: in affection
to put together in one's mind
to compare
to gather, conclude, consider
to cause a person to unite with one in a conclusion or come to the same opinion, to prove, demonstrate
to teach, instruct, one

King James Word Usage - Total: 6
knit together 2, prove 1, assuredly gather 1, instruct 1, compact 1

So this wasn't a flash from the blue where Paul received the full word-for-word interpretation instantly from God. It says "We concluded" so clearly there were others involved, not just Paul. There was a coalescing, a putting together, a coming to an opinion within the group.

Hope this helps.