Foreign Money

Archives for 2012
servant
Diamond Member

Foreign Money

Post by servant »

What would finding foreign (Jamaican) money represent? I found it somewhere between the side of the road and near the sidewalk. I gave it to a young child whose parent was going to get it exchanged for them. This happened in the USA.

Thanks for your help!
Mary
The shepherds have become stupid,
they have not consulted Adonai.
This is why they have not prospered,
and all their flocks are scattered.
Jer. 10.21
fishbreath
Gold Member

Post by fishbreath »

I found the bit at the end of this article interesting. it's from wiki:
-----
The dollar has been the currency of Jamaica since 1969. It is often abbreviated "J$", the J serving to distinguish it from other dollar-denominated currencies. It is divided into 100 cents.
The history of currency in Jamaica should not be considered in isolation of the wider picture in the British West Indies as a whole. See British West Indies dollar. The peculiar feature about Jamaica was the fact that it was the only British West Indies territory to use special issues of the sterling coinage, apart from the four pence groat coin which was specially issued for all the British West Indies, and later only for British Guiana.

The earliest money in Jamaica was Spanish copper coins called maravedíes. This relates to the fact that for nearly four hundred years Spanish dollars, known as pieces of eight were in widespread use on the world's trading routes, including the Caribbean Sea region. However, following the revolutionary wars in Latin America, the source of these silver trade coins dried up. The last Spanish dollar was minted at the Potosí mint in 1825. The United Kingdom had adopted a very successful gold standard in 1821, and so the year 1825 was an opportune time to introduce the British sterling coinage into all the British colonies. An imperial order-in-council was passed in that year for the purposes of facilitating this aim by making sterling coinage legal tender in the colonies at the specified rating of $1 = 4s 4d (one Spanish dollar to four shillings and four pence sterling). As the sterling silver coins were attached to a gold standard, this exchange rate did not realistically represent the value of the silver in the Spanish dollars as compared to the value of the gold in the British gold sovereign, and as such, the order-in-council had the reverse effect in many colonies. It had the effect of actually driving sterling coinage out, rather than encouraging its circulation. Remedial legislation had to be introduced in 1838 so as to change over to the more realistic rating of $1 = 4s 2d. However, in Jamaica, British Honduras, Bermuda, and later in the Bahamas also, the official rating was set aside in favour of what was known as the 'Maccaroni' tradition in which a British shilling, referred to as a 'Maccaroni', was treated as one quarter of a dollar. The common link between these four territories was the Bank of Nova Scotia which brought in the 'Maccaroni' tradition, resulting in the successful introduction of both sterling coinage and sterling accounts. In 1834, silver coins of threepence and three halfpence (1½ pence) were introduced, valued at ½ real and ¼ real. The three halfpence coins came to be called "quartiles" or "quatties." These in particular were used in church collections due to a feeling by the black population that copper coins were inappropriate for that purpose. Hence, they came to be called "Christian quatties".
servant
Diamond Member

Post by servant »

Thank you, fishbreath.

I will have to think and pray on this as in my dream I found bills, not coins, but it is an interesting article. Thank you for your post and your time to research it for me!

I DID give the money away, kind of like an alm like was mentioned about Cornelius which was what God seemed to say did not go unnoticed by him.

Interesting.

God bless you!
Mary
The shepherds have become stupid,
they have not consulted Adonai.
This is why they have not prospered,
and all their flocks are scattered.
Jer. 10.21
Diamond Member

Post by Newbie »

Jamaica may symbolize a carefree mindset while the US may symbolize independent thinking and behavior. Currency in general may symbolize the manner in which goals are achieved. I viewed the conversion of the currency as a goal of “converting” a mindset over to another. As usual toss if it does not ping!