Getting attacked in dreams

Archives for 2007
Manassehs_Warrior
Diamond Member

Getting attacked in dreams

Post by Manassehs_Warrior »

I have dreams from time to time where I am demonically attacked. I almost always pray before bed for God to protect me and guard me while i sleep... but I still get a demonic dream and attack during sleep every so often.
I wanted to know if this happens to anyone else and what u do about it?

Secondly.... around 2 or years ago I was sleeping and dreaming.... then at one point I went into a room and there was a very strong and powerful smell... like a chemical or something like that. In the dream, I started to have trouble breathing.... and I think I sat down and was afraid due to this. I felt like I was having an asthma attack and it was brought on by the very strong odor (whatever it was, I dont know). In life, I do not have asthma but in the dream I was wheezing and really having a hard time.

Then I woke up but a split second before I did, I FELT myself wheezing for real! And in the dream my heart had started racing and when I woke up all the way, the wheezing and trouble breathing stopped instantly, but my heart was still racing.

I was a little shaken... but eventually went back to sleep without incident.

Was that purely a demonic attack, or what? I should add here that for years I have had an irrational fear of having or getting asthma. Ijust think it would be such a scary condition to have. It seems I really did have a bad asthma attack in the dream, that ceased as soon as my physical body woke up. It was 2 years ago but it has always bothered me.... I was really having trouble breathing in the dream and think my physical body was at the same time, only I was asleep. COuld I have even died?? (I had another dream where my heart stopped and someone used a Defibrillator on me and it started up again... and I have wondered if my heart didnt really stop for real, just for a second or two....).

Does anyone have any insight, advice??
Joy2dream

Post by Joy2dream »

Manassehs_Warrior,
I'm going to try, maybe I can help a little. There are others that are better equipped to answer some of your questions than I am.
I'm sure they will also post for you.
I have dreams from time to time where I am demonically attacked. I almost always pray before bed for God to protect me and guard me while i sleep... but I still get a demonic dream and attack during sleep every so often.
I wanted to know if this happens to anyone else and what u do about it?

Yes, I have dreams that I or a family member was being attacked. Not sure I prayed before all of them tho. I used to have a reoccuring dream that a man was trying to get my older son, this was a warning dream to pay attention and I did and stopped the thing from happening in the natural, as a man did have his hands on my son trying to lead him out of a large shoe store. I also had a dream of an angelic looking being and I standing on a fireplace hearth, but it wasn't an angel it was a demon and I knew if he touched my head I would die, the demon was rebuked in the Name of Jesus and I have protected my thought as best I can and bring them under the obedience of Jesus as best I can. Althought this seemed demonic it was a warning to guard my mind because the enemy would try to get it. You may want to post the dreams and see if the interp is what you think an attack or if it was a warning dream.
Secondly.... around 2 or years ago I was sleeping and dreaming.... then at one point I went into a room and there was a very strong and powerful smell... like a chemical or something like that. In the dream, I started to have trouble breathing.... and I think I sat down and was afraid due to this. I felt like I was having an asthma attack and it was brought on by the very strong odor (whatever it was, I dont know). In life, I do not have asthma but in the dream I was wheezing and really having a hard time. Then I woke up but a split second before I did, I FELT myself wheezing for real! And in the dream my heart had started racing and when I woke up all the way, the wheezing and trouble breathing stopped instantly, but my heart was still racing.
I smelled roses (awake reading) and sulfur (woke me up as I sprang up in the bed asking DO YOU SMELL THAT?) shortly before my brother went to Heaven. Again you may post to see if the Holy Spirit will give revelation on the smell. I wonder if the asthma is symbolic of the Spirit of God, Holy Spirit and the enemy wanting to choke it out of you, just a thought.

I was a little shaken... but eventually went back to sleep without incident.
Was that purely a demonic attack, or what? I should add here that for years I have had an irrational fear of having or getting asthma. Ijust think it would be such a scary condition to have. It seems I really did have a bad asthma attack in the dream, that ceased as soon as my physical body woke up. It was 2 years ago but it has always bothered me.... I was really having trouble breathing in the dream and think my physical body was at the same time, only I was asleep. COuld I have even died?? (I had another dream where my heart stopped and someone used a Defibrillator on me and it started up again... and I have wondered if my heart didnt really stop for real, just for a second or two....).

Not sure if it was a demonic attack, probably but really need the dream and Holy Spirit to know.

John Paul Jackson (do you ever read or listen to him?) says that what we fear we empower. Fear in a way is the opposite of Faith.

Hope this helps some, others will likely post more insight.

Bless you,
Joy
naveah
Diamond Member

Post by naveah »

I have experienced this first hand. I was attacked one night in my dreams. I immediately started to pray but it had jumped on my face and mouth and distorted my face pulling it apart,but it had to go in the name of Jesus. I went to work that day and worked 12 hours I got to church and as we were standing in church praying for needs a lady at the church sensed I needed prayer She asked me if I needed prayer I was tearful and said yes the whole congregation prayed and laid hands on me..Praise the Lord in Jesus name that thing has been bound.

My Mom a few months ago was attacked by a choking spirit hers was not in a dream it would happen when she was awake especially when she was interceding for someone.. She is a Intercessor prayer warrior.She has since been baptized twice with fire and the heavens opened up since, she has not been attacked, Praise the name of the Lord She also fasted and prayed during this period of attack. She has been delivered by the mighty authority in Jesus Christ Power to the Lamb of God
Naveah
And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.Isaiah 6:7
Manassehs_Warrior
Diamond Member

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate them.

I am an intercessor too, among other callings it seems that He has for me. I dont get attacked while intercessing like your mom did though..... (though not any less unpleasant!).

I didnt even think to ask for prayer from my church when the asthma one happened, I actually just went back to sleep! But I think I did pray.... and it hasnt happened since so I guess I didnt feel the need to do anything else. But it WAS scary.

Isit always sin opening the door, that allows these demonic attacks while I am sleeping? Or is it just...? Whatever? It hasnt happened lately but some months back my bed was shaking and I woke up with it still shaking and then it did stop. I am sure I asked Jesus to help. I shared with someone at the time (a 'Net friend) and she was like, "Oh wow, u need deliverance!!" But I was just like.... uh, its not the first time my bed has been shaking....

So what should I do to 1) PREVENT these sorts of attacks while I am asleep and/or dreaming and 2) should they happen, what can I do other than to call on the Name of Jesus and plead the Blood of Jesus (out loud, if I can speak... i cant always when these things happen) over me?

I am so glad the asthma attack thing hasnt happened since and I pray it never does again, ever. It was frightening and I dont know what I would have done had it not instantly stopped as soon as I woke up.

God bless all,

MW
kse
Platinum Member

Post by kse »

Hi MW! I too, and hubby, get attacked in our sleep. We've had the shaking beds, choking, hands coming at us, tormenting, horrible dreams, once I even felt as though I had been raped for real when I woke up, but I knew it was demonic. The enemy hates us (Christians).

Probably 100% of them happen if I have forgotten to pray for protection before falling asleep, or I have woken in the night and fallen asleep again without praying protection. I always pray for the Lord's warrior angels to surround us and guard us, because, man, it gets wicked if not. Also ministering angels. I also plead the blood of Jesus over our minds, and bodies, and forgive or ask forgiveness for sin. The enemy lies in wait for us to be weak or unguarded, and during sleep we can be very vulnerable.

You may want to pray and ask the Lord specifically the demon's name that is coming against you so that you can address it by name to fight. Maybe asthma is its name? Maybe quote scriptures on health to build your faith. Fear of it has probably opened the door to it. Take authority over fear.

As an intercessor/prayer warrior you must always be on guard. I have lately found Psalm 23 to be comforting on this level, 'he makes me lie down in green pastures, he prepares a table before me in the presence of mine enemies.' Even though we are on the battlefield He brings us peace and provision. Anyway, you probably knew a lot of that but I hope it helps!

Kristina
"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not." Jeremiah 33:3
Kim
Silver Member

Post by Kim »

There was a post on this forum (I think it's still here somewhere) and the author spoke of these types of dreams. We always tend to think that they are demonic, and many times they are. But this particular post pointed out that at times, God 'gives' fearful dreams to strengthen us and make us bolder so that when we face scary situations in real life, we will be stronger and bolder to deal with them. It really helped me to understand many of my dreams, and I could see how they have strengthened me in real life too.
Manassehs_Warrior
Diamond Member

Interesting.... (Kim)....

I once had a dream that I was about to die and normally I would fight FIGHT fight so hard against that but in the dream, I knew it was a dream (I lucid dream very often) so I went with it, so to speak. I closed my eyes, and "died." ANd then I woke up and was still alive... and on my way..... I forget what happened next but the gist was that I didnt fight death and let it happen.... because I knew I would still be alive again.

This was good for me, because I have an incredible fear and terror of death.... as a Christian, I shouldnt, but Ive always been a fearful, intense, worrying kind of person. I think it did help me on some level... to not fear death when it really will happen to me here on the earth. I think not for a very long time in my case, but as u said, it makes us stronger and bolder to face the real thing -- whatever that may be -- when it does happen.

Thank you!!!
discerning
Site Admin

Post by discerning »

Following is a post from a past discussion. (edited so as not to get off-topic so if it doesn't seem to flow w/the convo, that's why). It may not apply here, but I thought I'd toss it in for others who may be seeking on this subject...

The same applies to [some] dreams I have seen dismissed out of hand as nightmares. Many spiritual warfare dreams fall into this category. An example from my own experience...I have had-in the past-many, many (too many to count) 'scarey' :roll: dreams. IF I had tossed them all simply because they contained an element of the demonic I would have missed a large part of my spiritual education, if you will. I would have remained ignorant of the awesome power which is ours through the precious blood of Jesus and become a much easier target for the attacks of the enemy.

When these dreams first started-there were a series of them-I began to wonder if I was going crazy. BUT GOD is ever faithful to complete His work. He held my hand the whole way and led me to those whose teachings helped me to understand. I look back on that time NOW as 'basic training' ;) and I am very thankful for it. I still have these kinds of dreams occasionally, but these days I can discern the source almost immediately. But even on those rare occasions when I cannot - I am careful to take them to the Lord before I toss them. (and a BIG thank you to all of you here who have helped me with those :D )

One more thought...when we receive corrective dreams from the Lord, often 'condemnation' is not far behind. THIS is a subtle trick of the enemy to get us pay no heed. There is no condemnation in Christ Jesus. If we keep our focus on Him and have a teachable spirit, there is nothing the Lord can't do in us and through us. Greater is He!

blessings,

discerning

I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning...
Ezekiel 3:17
Kim
Silver Member

Post by Kim »

MW - I find it really interesting how your dream of dying connected with your fear. I know of Christians who fear the dying process but not so much death itself. But your dream was amazing!! I can see how it would have been scary to you because of the fear you've had, yet I also see such a reasurrance in your dream that everything was ok.

Many Christians today (including myself at times), fight against God's process of dying to self. We become comfortable with things in life, and when God begins to deal with us in such a way that we have to die to that thing, it can be a frightening thing to face.

Your dream speaks to me about such matters too. I see your dream as not only ministering into your life concerning your fear of death, but also into other people's lives regarding dying to self. There should be NO FEAR of dying to self, yet it is quite scary at times having to give up something (or someone) in order to carry out God's will and purpose.

I also reckon that fear is hitting you in this area of death, because there is something tied up in how you minister to others. Fear will always stand at the door God wants us to go through to try to prevent us from going the way God is leading us. Your fear of death is a lot bigger to me. Ohhh how do I describe this...?

I get the impression that the fear you're sensing concerning death, is not actually your fear. It is to show you the fears relating to death that are within the body of Christ. I get the impression that part of your ministry is to help people deal with fears and get the victory over them. I see you ministering to people who are constantly being attacked with the fear of dying to self. Your dream is sooo much bigger than you realise. Not only is it speaking into your life concerning your fear (to show you that death has lost its sting), but also to minister into the lives of others who are tormented by fear.

Have you ever done a biblical study on fear? I would really encourage you to look to the dictionary for the meaning of fear - look to the scriptures to see what God says about fear - and look those scriptures up in a concordance to see what the root word for fear is in the bible. Crosswalk.com is a good resource for this if you haven't got your own concordance.

MW - I have such an excitement in my spirit for you. I feel sooo strongly that the enemy has tried to paralyse you with this fear because he is trying to prevent you from ministering into the lives of others. Ask God to turn that fear around for your good and his ultimate glory. He has a unique way of doing this! I know we have authority over fear and can command it to go, but I've had an experience where that just didn't happen. It wasn't because I had no faith or didn't know the scriptures. It was because I had to face the fear (and the demon that stood in front of me), to make me bolder against it. Ohhh I remember seeing this half man half goat thing stand before me and at the name of Jesus - it left! I was sooo surprised (in a good way) how powerful the name of Jesus was and is. I kept jumping up and down saying to God - "Did you see that? Did you see how powerful the name of Jesus is? Did you see how demons are subject to me because of YOUR name?" :) Right away, God reminded me that I am not to rejoice that demons are subject to me in his name, but instead, I am to rejoice that my name is written in the Lamb's book of life. It was an "ooooo kkkkkkk" moment and the thrill of the demons being subject to me through his name....LEFT. God poured cold water on it hehee. But the fearful thing happened from the following evening. I got out of bed to go to the bathroom, but was paralysed by fear from doing so. I got back in to bed and was 'waiting' for the fear to go away or for me to fall asleep (silly I know), when suddenly I felt (what I can only describe) as a finger nail being pushed into my back. At that, fear paralysed me - to the point that even my mouth was paralysed! It took ages to be able to say Jesus! Once I said that name, the fear left. That fear tormented me nightly for a year approx. I had declared scripture over me, kept my focus on God --- ohhh and more. Yet the fear was still there. Even though the thermostat on the radiator was up full, our bedroom was freezing! There was an icy presence in the room day and night. I got to the point I was afraid to go to sleep! The reason I'm telling you this is because speaking the word/Jesus' name to the fear only made it leave temporarily. I had to do what Joyce Meyer says - I had to face the fear! I actually got to the point where I was sooo fed up with this fear, that I used to get out of bed and scream at it - I was sooo mad at it. :) As it turned out, God showed me it had a connection to freemasonry. Once I dealt with it in this way, the ugly thing left and has never returned. Fear does try to hit me at night sometimes, but because of what I went through with that demon, I can face the fear in the night now.

I would encourage you to face this fear of death before God and ask him to dig out the root of it. As I've said, I get the impression that God wants to use your experience with this fear, for bigger and better purposes in his kingdom. Rather than allowing the fear of death to lock you up in a prison, hand it over to God and allow him to help you face it. Yes, that sounds scary, but you know deep down that God would never do anything to harm you. He doesn't want you to live with any torment, so he will gladly take this thing from you and use it for his glory.

Ohhh I should stop talking now I know :) - but those words "dying to self" keep hitting me. I sooo get the impression that this is tied up in whatever ministry God has called you to. The Fear of Dying To Self is something I reckon God wants you to help others face. Ok, I'll stop now before you get sore eyes reading this novel lol.
Kim
Silver Member

Post by Kim »

Discerning - I loved what you wrote about nightmares. And I also got alot from what you said about correction dreams and how condemnation follows closely behind. Thanks for sharing this. It shows me that I have to be 'discerning' in my dreams to know what is from God and what isn't!
Manassehs_Warrior
Diamond Member

Kim....

KIM, wow, thanks for your awesome and so encouraging post to me! I really appreciate and just now saw it.

I reread my post and see that I didnt word it quite right.... In the dream I died, and then woke up.. .but I mean I woke up IN THE DREAM..... not for real. It was only later on that I woke up for real, after I had "died" and then woke up realizing I was still alive. It was such a cool dream in that way and I think the first time I ever died and woke up while still asleep/dreaming.

I have had such an incredible time with fear in my life, since I was a little girl! I had severe social phobias.... and was what u would call "painfully shy" all thru childhood and beyond. Super sensitive, I would cry, or want to, if a teacher just raised her voice at me a little bit. My mother abused me heavily so I never got any comfort or reassurance in life, either (meaning it didnt help my fear problems).

Later I developed severe panic attacks/panic disorder and really suffered a lot with that. I was moderately agoraphobic for a long time and while I have come, with His help, a REALLY REALLY long way and even started college 2 years ago at age almost 32 (couldnt go all those years due to FEAR), I still feel I have much to overcome, and it gets me down a lot.

So I all the more appreciate your insights.... because they/you encouaraged me in all this..... I also have struggled hard with deep depressions, suicidal stuff/attempts, addiction (still breaking free from one or two of those right now... its tough)....sexuality and gender issues and kind of most everything one can think of..... also deaths, too... I lost my brother to a car accident over 2 years ago and really have not "come back" from that all the way, it was such a shock and a blow, esp after all I had already been thru. I just couldnt believe it (but God did give me dreams to comfort me, which I really appreciate).

I also come from a Catholic background and think that might be where my excessive fear of Hell (and of going there!) stems from. Just fear, fear, fear.... fear of certain health issues (I was sick for many years with physical illness too).... fear of this, worry over that, etc. Its been unbearable really.... BUT, God.

I appreciate your sharing your own experiences with fear and am so glad God showed u the root causes of your experience/gave u discernment (freemason spirit)... I know this stuff is really real but there are some out there who dont, cant or wont believe this kind of stuff.

Fear has ruled my life since childhood and no, can u believe it, Ive NEVER done a Biblical study on it!! I've prayed and had others pray (over the years I mean), gone thru deliverances -- quite a few --, taken herbs, avoided foods, exercised, drank more water, taken Rx medications (many) but never did a Biblical study on it! Wow.

I may PM you as what u said has been so helpful to me. I never considered that my dream had a larger meaning and it was kind of a fluke I even shared it on here, not to mention it was over a year ago too.

Thank u again and God bless you,

MW
Kim
Silver Member

Post by Kim »

Hi MW, feel free to pm me any time, or email me if it suits you better.

Can you remember the first time you felt afraid?
Manassehs_Warrior
Diamond Member

Kim

I will PM you.... sometime today. Again, I so appreciated your post to me... it was so helpful.

First time I was afraid? Wow... hmmm.... I really think some people are just born more sensitive and fearful than others and I dont mean that as a cop-out. Nervousness, anxiety, mental illness all ran in my family.... but I know this shouldnt mean I have to accept these things as my lot in life.

I just remember always being afraid, Im not even sure of what, just felt scared. I hated people to notice me or pay attention to me in an obvious way and I can remember being 4-5 years old in Kindergarten and afraid to go to school becasue my mother made me wear this hat that had a face on it... and kids made fun of the face on it.... (and I guess me, too). So I just felt fear.... I guess fear of the kids laughing at me and/or the hat.
I was always super sensitive... another kids might just have told them to shut-up, or laughed with them, or got rid of the hat, but my mother forced me to wear it.

I dont want to bore the board LOL so let me PM you soon....

Have a wonderful day!!

MW
Kim
Silver Member

Post by Kim »

I know it's debatable, but some Christian counsellors maintain that emotional things can begin when a child is growing in the womb. They would also maintain that just as genetics pass on physical attributes to the child (like the colour of his eyes), we can also have spiritual things such as fear, depression and more, passed on from conception.

But God has already provided your healing. The only thing that's hindering you from walking in that healing, are the lies you've grown up believing about yourself and possibly about other people.
Krista
Diamond Member

Post by Krista »

Heya,
I believe that strong demonic visitations typically comes trying to scare you back. If you've had a great deal of things happen in your family, and your currently breaking through those things, and your working towards more freedom, I believe that is the reason your dreaming all of these things.

The fear you have is bondage from the enemy, it has a foothold on your life, and thus those spirits have a certain power and control over your life. Your slowly knowing that these things have no power and control over you, so they're trying to "scare" you. (Just like a bully on a playground)

I heard several sermons that have really helped me overcome loads of my fear. One of them was about when fear hit you..you open your mouth and simply say "Something good is going to happen" That really works wonderfully.

Another one was quoting encuraging bible verses about fear, which can really help. But then just last night I heard a sermon about how we should be more afraid of God, then whatever opposition we're facing. When your feeling scared, think about how mighty God is, and how he has your life and soul in his hands.

And fourthly, make SURE not to be watching any junk movies, any junk books. No horror! Stay away from things pertaining to the occult. And stay away from anything that can encurage feeling afraid, especially in entertainment.

When your afraid of asthma, it is a direct attack from satan trying to make you think it so much that he can get a foothold. If your afraid of dying, that's satan whispering in your ear that it's a bad thing so that he can try to control you to preserve your life.

I really really think it's amazing on how much you have broken free from this stuff, and I really pray you keep on going! All of heaven is cheering you on. God bless you!