Diverse Church, Curios Elder

Archived Dreams from 2014
lainey68
Gold Member

Diverse Church, Curios Elder

Post by lainey68 »

Had this dream this morning, trying to make sure I have the right interpretation.

IRL, my church is pretty racially diverse--the most diverse one in our county. Some years ago, our elders decided to expand the vision to state that they wanted our church to reflect the demographics of the county around us. It was not met without controversy, though. A lot of people left when the new music director (who is black) came and added some gospel songs to our repertoire. At any rate, I do love the diversity we have. So, on to my dream.

I was standing with a group of black people (I am black) and we were talking about hair, etc. Some secular music started playing, and there were some young teen girls who started dancing--not anything bad, just bopping along. I love music, and I was kinda tapping my feet. I heard the Lord say, 'You will affect your witness', so I stopped. I looked behind me and one of the elders (he is white) had been watching us and me. He was curious about our culture, but he never came and said anything.

So, I am trying to figure this out. I think the first part is a call to not be worldly. I know it will affect my witness and everyone's witness, really. I am trying to understand the second part: is it pertaining to my church or the church in general? I so want to see the Lord's church united-there is too much division. I will be honest and say that although almost all of my life, i grew up around whites, when it came to church, I went to a 'black' church. My father insisted on it. But, when I became an adult and had my daughter. i wanted her raised in a multicultural church. That was the reason i began attending my church. But it was not diverse at the time, and they began pursuing diversity after some years.

We have a long way to go, and although many of my church friends are of other races, I do find myself chatting with my black friends a lot. And I do notice this elder is always in the vicinity when we are together, but he won't say anything.

So, I am examining myself in this regard. I don't want to seem exclusive. It's just a few of us ladies have a lot in common, and we really only see each other on Sundays. I will pray about it. I would hate to be perceived as cliqueish, or worse, racist! Maybe the dream is for me specifically, or my church. But there is a lot of racial division in the world, and the place it should not be is in the church.