Multi-faceted dream about an old job

Archives for 2008
manicmusician
Bronze Member

Multi-faceted dream about an old job

Post by manicmusician »

Being a country boy, when I was MUCH younger I worked at a feed mill, making cow feed, horse feed, et cetera. Last night I had the following dream...

I had gone back to work at this feed mill. I had taken the job mid-afternoon and they asked me to start immediately, so I went to work immediately, 2:30ish, with only a couple of hours of work left that day. My first thought was "I need a cap". I always wore a cap when I worked there IRL.

I then went to a woman holding her ticket who was waiting for service. She handed me her ticket, and according to her ticket, we needed to load some "50" and some "5000" on her vehicle. I had never heard of this terminology, so I asked one of the other guys, and they told me "Check the tags on the bags". I started checking tags in the stockroom, but had trouble locating enough "50" and "5000" to fill her order. I was then instructed to fill the remainder of her order with "hurricane mix". This was also something I had never heard of, but one of the other guys knew what it was and we filled her order.

Then, me and two of the other guys started a run of feed, which means making, bagging and stacking a certain type of feed for stocking. One fills the bags out of the mixer, the next tags and sews the bag shut, then I was to stack, which is something I was always asked to do IRL, as IRL they always liked how neatly I stacked. It went smoothly for three or four bags, then the bags became very odd and narrow in shape, becoming unusable. We noticed that there was old fruit, bordering on either turning rotten or becoming dehydrated, in the corners of the bags. I also was troubled that there was about an inch of dust on the workroom floor, thinking we needed to sweep the place desperately as it was getting difficult to keep footing. IRL it was common for a thin layer of dust to be on this floor, what with various grains being ground up, but nothing like in this dream.

Then the scene shifts to me entering the office needing to make change of a ten dollar bill. I wanted to get a drink out of the machine. The boss gave me change, then I walked outside to an RV that had a soda machine on the side of it. I began to put my change in it, and as I did, someone asked me, "Why didn't you use the machine on the porch?" I don't recall answering, and the machine dispensed a glass bottle Pepsi.

I dropped one of the coins in my hand, and it rolled off a ways to the side. As I went to get it, I realized that I was now in a pair of shorts and wearing no shoes, only socks, and a cold rain was falling. My socks were getting soaked as I went to get the coin, and a man, who in the dream I didn't seem to really like, said almost jokingly "You've got no one to blame but yourself." I responded, "You're right. Nobody's fault but mine." I retrieved the coin, noticing three pennies laying off to the side of it. They weren't mine, and I just left them there and walked toward the porch of the building.

Once I got to the porch, I looked out toward the grassy bank in front of the mill. The grass was lush and well manicured, and there were several very healthy trees now growing out of it. I thought to myself, "Wow. That's changed and grown up since back when I was here before."

That's the dream. I don't know what it means, if anything, but I haven't been able to get it off of my mind since I woke up a couple of hours ago. Any insights that God may give would be appreciated. God bless.