What Can Cousin Mean

Archives for 2012
Robert2.0
Gold Member

What Can Cousin Mean

Post by Robert2.0 »

I have had two dreams consecetively with cousins in them. They were different cousins but cousins non-the-less.
Demon_Buster
Diamond Member

Post by Demon_Buster »

HI Robert2.0..
cousins, - - What are they really?

It is simple, your cousin is the son or daughter of an uncle or aunt. So if your mother's or father's sister or brother has a son or a daughter then they would be your cousin, first cousin that is. Got it? Good, because nothing comes easy in Genealogy.

There are actually four types of first cousins according to anthropologists. A cousin on the father's side is patrilateral while those on the mother's side are matrilateral. Then of course the children of your mother's sister or your father's brother are ortho-cousins (parallel cousins) or the children of your mother's brother or father's sister are cross-cousins. So now you have patrilateral and matrilateral ortho-cousins and patrilateral and matrilateral cross-cousins for your four relationships.

The English word "cousin" covers all four of these relationships and many languages place the ortho-cousins, and the cross-cousins in separate categories. In these such cases ortho-cousins are frequently the same as those denoting brothers and sisters. There is a smaller group of languages that places the ortho-cousins in one category and then distinguishes between patrilateral cross-cousins and matrilateral cross-cousins. Other languages use separate words for each of the four possible kinds of cousins; patrilateral cross-cousins, patrilateral ortho-cousins, matrilateral cross-cousins, matrilateral ortho-cousins.

Although most societies consider marriage between ortho-cousins to be incest there are actually those that consider it to be ideal and those that cross-cousin marriages are preferred or even obligatory.

And don't forget about 1st Removed ...

Relationship Terms
Sometimes, especially when working on your family history, it's handy to know how to describe your family relationships more exactly. The definitions below should help you out.

Cousin (a.k.a "first cousin")

Your first cousins are the people in your family who have two of the same grandparents as you. In other words, they are the children of your aunts and uncles.

Second Cousin

Your second cousins are the people in your family who have the same great-grandparents as you., but not the same grandparents.

Third, Fourth, and Fifth Cousins

Your third cousins have the same great-great-grandparents, fourth cousins have the same great-great-great-grandparents, and so on.

Removed

When the word "removed" is used to describe a relationship, it indicates that the two people are from different generations. You and your first cousins are in the same generation (two generations younger than your grandparents), so the word "removed" is not used to describe your relationship.

The words "once removed" mean that there is a difference of one generation. For example, your mother's first cousin is your first cousin, once removed. This is because your mother's first cousin is one generation younger than your grandparents and you are two generations younger than your grandparents. This one-generation difference equals "once removed."

Twice removed means that there is a two-generation difference. You are two generations younger than a first cousin of your grandmother, so you and your grandmother's first cousin are first cousins, twice removed.

and it would have a similar meaning in the spiritual as well

I hope this helps.

Blessings
keilani
Site Moderator

Post by keilani »

maybe indicating something relational or hereditary? Praying He gives you all the wisdom you need to understand.
***More To Come***

Eph 3:8...proclaim to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ 9
and...enlighten everyone about God’s secret plan—a secret that has been hidden for ages in God who has created all things.
Diamond Member

Post by Newbie »

Hello Robert, I do not believe the focus is the cousin (the term) itself but rather the individual itself. For example, for the most part we know what spouses, parents, grandparents, children, and siblings represent in our dreams. They are normally symbolic of the church or our relationship in some way with Him. I believe that cousins, aunts, and uncles (those who are extended family members) maybe symbolic of the actual person and what is going on with them and the dreamer. For example, I rarely dream of my aunts, uncles, and cousins but when I do I know that this is indicative of something that is going on with them perse and not something dealing inside the church if this makes sense. Also, you have to ask yourself what is your relationship with this cousin. Is this cousin like a sibling to you, a best friend, or you simply at odds with them.
I dreamt a few weeks ago of a cousin I have lost contact with several years ago. This cousin was like a sister to me growing up but over the years we grown apart because of distance and our walk in life. This cousin I had learned cut herself off from the family because her mother got too self-righteous when she attempted to help her mother financially. I also discovered this cousin had breast cancer and did not told anyone of her trial. Before our sepeartion, she revealed to me that she did not believe in God. I have been praying over her off and on because I do not know why I got the dream or what is going on in her life at the moment.
Sorry for getting longwinded here, but I believe the answer lies in how you view this cousin. I hopes this help somewhat.
Robert2.0
Gold Member

Post by Robert2.0 »

I have had 2 cousins in my dreams recently. My relationship with both is good in the sense that we have no ill will toward each other. We never talk though (either cousin). It has been years since Ive talked to either. The cousin I spoke with most recently I saw at a bank by happenstance. He and I exchanged pleasant words for a few minutes and that was it.

Growing up I used to talk muscle cars with one cousin (male) becasue we both had similar cars and we loved to work on cars. The other cousin is a female and we really didnt do much together at all except for play as children when our parents were visiting.

Sorry but I am still perplexed. I am not paranoid about this but these two cousins came out of nowhere. It tends to make me wonder if I should just be praying for them.
Diamond Member

Post by Newbie »

What were the action of the cousins in the dreams and the context? As I stated before I got a dream about my cousin that came from out of nowhere, I simply ask the Lord that His will be done because sometimes it may not be our place to now exactly what is going on with that person, just simply pray for them.